Thursday, March 12, 2015

A new FAKED Mac & Cheese

Who doesn't LOVE Mac & Cheese?
Tyler (my youngest with severe Autism) calls it "Kitty Crap Dinner" That is how his mind processes "KD Kraft Dinner"! It is cute.
Well, the packages have gotten smaller and they are not even joking a smidge about that expiry date!
So, as my boys got older, we ate less and less because I needed to buy MORE AND MORE. One box no longer did the trick, needed 3 or 4 for a meal... 2 at least per casserole! I just stopped buying it. Too rich for our cheap ways.

A few weeks ago, a friend got me into a deal for some pasta. Came out to about 40 cents a bag. SWEET! And with Cheddar cheese soup on that week for 99 cents a can, I stocked up.
Tyler was moody, having a rough night and wanted "Kitty Crap Dinner".
Uh oh, don't have any.
He asked again.
I said "How about Grammie style Mac and Cheese?"
I was a little panicked. No milk, no bread crumbs, no.... oh ya! I HAVE CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP! He agreed to "Grammie style Mac and Cheese" and off to boil a bag of pasta I went. This pasta is big ol' fat elbow macaroni. It is kind of like a curled rigatoni more than an elbow macaroni but, it is good. While it was cooking, I mixed a can of soup with a tablespoon of butter and some water, just a couple of tablespoons worth. When the pasta was done, I drained it, mixed it in the pot with the cheese sauce and tasted it.... tasted like the Velveeta cheese and sauce we used to buy when I was younger. It was pretty decent! Ya I will make it again but... now the real test... I served it with ketchup to Tyler.
HE. ATE. IT.
I win.
Yay!
Now he asks for it all the time, about once a week and we no longer buy KD.

Ty's FAKED Mac and Cheese!
500g (one pound) of Elbow macaroni (or Rotini or Rigatoni, heck use what you have on hand!)
1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup*
1 or 2 tablespoons of Butter
*If you want it creamy you can add a second can of soup! Still makes it cheaper than 4 boxes of KD.

Cook your pasta.
In a small pot on medium low heat, mix soup can contents with a couple of tablespoons of water and 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter, stir and heat thoroughly, no need to hard boil! Drain your pasta, add it to the cheese soup mix, stir well and serve!
Makes 4 decent sized servings.
If you are really feeling cheesy, add some shredded cheddar on top! 

I will add some recipes later on that this is now the base of! The boys and I have used it as a replacement for all of our KD casseroles lately without disappointment!
Happy Faking!
~Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment