Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Baked, Caked & Faked it! A lesson in Potato Flour Sponge Cake!


When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.  ~Laiko Bahrs

10:30pm.
This is probably why I am an awful baker! I melt and pour quite nicely though! My friend Ann is GFCFSF, she has limited dessert options and says she eats a lot of homemade rice cereal treats. My goal is to bake a GFCFSF (Gluten Free, Casein Free, Soy Free) cake that tastes good. I think rice cereal treats are great but, I want to have more options. I think Ann should have some too. So, off to No Frills I went to purchase my GFCF Margarine, Rice Milk (as my almond milk was not ready yet... had to sub!) and I found Potato Flour (next to the muffin mixes, above the regular flour) this afternoon! The recipe is from the Joy of Cooking
It calls for sifting the potato flour 3 times. It seems fairly basic so I will be pausing here, making the cake and returning with pics as I make it. Wish me luck.

Midnight.
Alrighty, So I sifted the potato flour 3 times... separated the eggs, whipped, stirred, folded, and poured into a greased 9" foil pan and baked it for 20 minutes at 325F then increased the temp to 350F for 15 minutes. It baked up beautifully! We sliced a few pieces and ate it with nothing on it. Spongy (but it IS a sponge cake) and full of flavour! Tastes beautiful! 
The recipe is on Page 670 in the Joy of Cooking and it is delicious! Could easily be iced as a birthday cake or diced into a trifle! I think next time I make this (yes, I said next time... I am not a baker so this is huge!) I will try fruit or carob in the blend and see what happens.
I will post pictures once I find my card reader as it has disappeared. (Ahhh children with hands and legs... hmm school is back when?) 

Happy Baking All!


*edit* 
Ahhh finally... PICS! 


Fresh out of the oven... nicely separated from the edges and rose better than I thought it would!

First slice... Yum! It is spongy but delicious.
Give it a try if you have a copy of the Joy Of Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment