Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hidden sources of Milk/Dairy & things that will make you go UGH

I started the first kick at a GFCF diet with 2 things. A book and my kid's doc saying "You gotta do what you feel is right!" Dr. Geiger was a great doctor. He knew my struggle, never questioned me and knew I was doing the best I could. He was a treat. I really miss him.
The book was Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism. I read it (was totally overwhelmed but powered on), referenced it and when we went back to regular food 2 years later I passed it on to a young mom with one ASD child. She then passed it on as well. The book was well used.

Now, I read the book. I know food (as I am a certified food inspector) and I know what to look for, what labels mean, what "hidden" sources of contaminates are.
I am going to share some basic knowledge with you. Do not feel overwhelmed as there is always a solution to everything!

1) If the ingredients say "Spices" it probably has trace amounts of what you are trying to avoid, whether it is milk or gluten... Find GFCF spices. They are available at your local organic or alternate grocer.

2) Lactic acid, Lactylate, Sourdough. All 3 are milk UNLESS it is listed that the lactic acid is derived from Beets(and the label will usually say so). There is one bread we can buy locally that is dairy free. It is Golden Vienna. The rest, every other bread, has milk products in them.Most crackers (even soda biscuits) have milk in them!

3) The people that work at the store do not know what is in it. Seriously, they have no idea. They try but, they don't know. They are not experts, they are paid to stock shelves. When in doubt, do not buy and come home to google! (I love google.... but you knew that right?)

4) Yogurt, pudding, margarine, butter, ice cream, cream/creme, have dairy in them. Becel Vegan Margarine is safe. Earth balance products are vegan. But, read the labels! Some gelatos I have found are 100% dairy free but not all brands are. You need to be aware.

5) Family and friends will try but, they will fail by giving your child something they shouldn't have. I bring my own food to even my mom's house. I have stocked her freezer with GFCF burgers, wieners, rice milk and daiya cheese. She tries (she really does) but, we both feel safer with me doing what I do. It works better then we don't have any issues. Always plan ahead.

6) What are you using for bath and beauty products? Are they GFCF? Probably not. You need to watch for these things. Some soaps, shampoos & bath bombs have skim milk powder in them. Many have wheat protein (check hair dye ingredients too). Hidden sources can kill anything you are trying to accomplish.

7) Just because it says "Not tested on animals" does not mean it is animal free.

8) The deli. I love the deli. I love deli meats, pepperoni, kielbassa! I do. Yum! BUT cheese is cut on those blades as well AND! Milk ingredients (Like Lactylate) are a preservative and used in the curing process. Deli meats are dangerous to a milk allergy. And a gluten allergy as well. We now only buy from the alternate grocers deli or make our own meat mixes at home (I will post these recipes soon)

9) Vitamins. YUP! Not all are free of contaminates. Check labels and when in doubt come home and google!

10) Alcohol. Now, I hope your kids are drinking yet! But, there are lots of alcohols that are derived from wheat and yes, if its creamy (Tequila Rose, Irish Creme, Doodley's) it is MILK. Most alcohol is not gluten free.

11) What you eat can easily be passed on to someone else. Have you eaten cheese and then kissed our kiddos good night? Come into contact with milk them hugged someone? That is cross contamination.

12) Just because it is dairy free does not mean it is gluten free or vice versa! ALWAYS read the labels. And double check! Companies change their ingredients all the time so just because 6 months ago it was CF does not mean it is now!

Ok that's all I can think of for now. I now just feel like I am rambling! (I do that) So, I hope this helps someone and if you have questions PLEASE post 'em! :)

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment