Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mmmmm meatloaf! Baked and Caked in flavour!

Ah meatloaf. It is a fall/winter comfort food that is surrounded in controversy! Everyone's Mama thinks theirs is best and I am sure some have been throughly insulted when others do not agree! lol

My Mom made great meatloaf. She really did. Hasn't made it in years! Why would she? I now make it and bring it to her! Mom had a great recipe. I don't even remember where she got it from or how long she has made it but, I can not remember not having it. Once I had the boys and have picky little divas in training to feed, I revamped Mom's meatloaf recipe! And thankfully, Mom approved.
Now this recipe requires a muffin tin pan or 2 and it is delicious!

Mini Meatloaves!
(makes about 12, give or take)

2 pounds ground beef, lean
1 egg (or use equivalent of egg replacer)
1 1/2 cups of GFCF flaked cereal OR if you use them, Soda crackers Crushed
1 heaping tablespoon of dried basil
pinch o' salt
dash or 3 of black pepper
2 small cans of tomato paste
Shredded Cheese OR Daiya "cheese" for topping

Alrighty, get a big bowl, mix the beef, egg, flakes or crackers and basil. Knead it like bread. I know it feels gross but this stage is important or nothing will stick together!
Now, Spray your Muffin tins (Yup that pan not the loaf pan) with cooking spray or wipe each muffin hole (I don't know what to call it... it's too early to remember) with a little olive oil.
Take about a half a handful of beef mix, press it into the tin so it is about half full. Now take a teaspoon of tomato paste and plop it on top of the beef. Take another half a handful and squish it on top of that! Now your muffin hole tin thingy should be full to the top! :) Yay! You did it! Congrats!
Now continue til you run out of beef mix. This usually makes about 12-14 for me.
Oh ya, preheat the oven to 350F and then you bake these for about an hour.
10 minutes before time is up I just pull out the pan a little bit and top each loaf with a spoonful of tomato paste and a light sprinkling of cheese or Daiya then continue baking for those last 10 minutes.

I usually serve this with alfredo noodles and some veggie based pasta sauce! If you are in a crunch you can even use one out of a can or jar (just always read the labels folks, companies change ingredients all the time). I plop the loaf right on top like a big meatball and Tyler's eyes light up like a christmas tree!He loves his "big meatball loaf muffins". That is what he calls them.
This is great to make ahead and freeze too! I freeze the mini loaves individually into freezer bags for quick dinners for the boys or for lunches!

Anyone can make this and AMAZE their family and friends! The debate will then continue.... who's mama makes the best meatloaf?
I think Bill, Jake and Ty's Mama does ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment