Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Milk.... how to fake it like a pro!

Ah Milk. Cereal is awful without it, most baking recipes require it and I can easily live with out good ol' cow's milk! (My Grandfather just rolled over in his grave... He was a cattle farmer!)
My guys have been off cow's milk for months. Years ago we went GFCF and they were used to soy milk (which is a good place to start) then we gradually switched to Rice or Potato Milk. Rice milk can be watery, potato milk is delicious but, hard to come by in Canada without purchasing in bulk.

Vance's Dari-Free is available from distributors! Medallion Milk in Winnipeg, MB carries it for Canadians. In the US it is more widely available.
You can find more international distributor links here! It is a nice consistency and kinda creamy.

Now, I can't get potato milk all the time. So, at the local grocery store we have the options of Soy Milk, Rice Milk and Rice "Beverage". They are ok, especially in a pinch but, we like different milk now.

At Goodness Me in Hamilton, they have an incredible selection of various milks! And it really does make a difference between a noname brand (store brand) and a "name" brand. We use Almond milk for the most part. If the Hemp Milk is on sale we buy that (the kids LOVE hemp milk).
The Almond Milk is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. The Boys like the chocolate and the original. We haven't tried others yet. We cook with it like you would cook with cow's milk and they haven't said EWWWW yet! lol
Hemp Milk is called Hemp Bliss. Delicious and is Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut free and 100% Vegan! It is expensive though. About $5 a liter here in Canada but when it is on sale 2 for $7 I buy a few and we use it sparingly!

Now, it wouldn't be me without a cheaper way to do it! :) I have found some homemade milk recipes online (Thanks to the help of some friends)!
This is the Almond milk recipe I use weekly! From Novel Eats, it is simple and fun for the boys to get in on some cooking skills! We use Stevia to sweeten and I add a couple drops of GFCF Vanilla (I get this at the Bulk Barn which has a decent GFCF section).

I have found several recipes for Rice Milk and Hemp Milk online (I am educated by Google!) but, I haven't tried them yet! When I do you all will be the first to know :) Sharing what I can.
Honestly though, do not give up on cowless milk... there are several options and there is one out there for you! If my kids can give it up, anyone can.

And, buy a pound of almonds, soak 'em in water and try that recipe from Novel Eats. Sweeten to your liking (Using Agave Nectar or Stevia), or add some vanilla or chocolate flavouring (Make sure its GFCF). How often can you say "I make my own milk" lol

I use the almond meal leftover after processing to add to cakes, cookie recipes and pancake batter. I freeze it into little scoops (about the size of 3 tablespoons). Options are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment