Sunday, November 18, 2012

Trick them again! Cereal "cake" for the picky ones.

I like to save money and make cool stuff.
When we lived up north the grocery store close by was (still is) a little pricy. I needed Rice Krispies for the kids group night and I was not going to pay $7 for a little box. No freaking way! I came home with 3 bags of marshmallows and no cereal. WTH was I gonna make with those 99 cent marshmallows?

I opened the closet and I had honey combs, granola and about 2 cups of frosted flakes. Screw it, I am calling it cereal cake! Oh, I was a creative lil momma and didn't even know it! Here I am 12 years later and my kids will eat any cereal! Even Raisin Bran because of that cake.

You know how to make rice krispie bars right? Same recipe but any other cereal.
I use:

1 bag of mini mashmallows
1 tbsp margarine
1 box of cereal.

Microwave the marshmallows in a safe bowl, on med power, add the margarine half way through and in total I think I melt for about 90 seconds? But it depends on your microwave. Just keep an eye on it.

I take it out, add cereal BUT I put margarine on the wooden spoon so it doesn't stick as bad to the spoon! Then I coat a lasagna pan in margarine (just a bit) and my hands as well so I can flatten the mixture in the pan!
How is this healthy? I can make this with Multi Grain Cheerios, Honey bunches of Oats, Raisin Bran, heck any cereal and kids will eat it! Remember it is the NAME of things that freak them out. If you call it "Cereal Cake" rather than Raisin Bran bars they will probably eat it. They like cereal and they like cake and you want them to get more fiber in their diet... WIN WIN!
Yes, you can do this GFCF if you get the ingredients at the health food store (done it!). Enviro Kids cereal works well in this! 

Combos my guys love:
(The boxes are around 400 grams)

1/2 box frosted flakes, 1/2 box puffed wheat

1/2 box raisin bran, 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I have used sweetened carob chips too), 1/2 box rice krispies

1 box of honeycombs,  1/2 cup of dried fruits chopped (pineapple and apples are what I usually have on hand)

1/2 cup coconut, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup choc chips, 1 box of cheerios

Get creative! Mix it up, dried fruit, coconut, chocolate bars cut up for a special treat (Just a note... Banana chips are a little tough for this recipe but, I have a use for them later on in one of my posts.).

Just make this and cut it up, wrap 'em and put them in the lunch box. Announce that there is cereal cake in their lunches! They will love it and you have saved a few bucks (32 bars for about $5 rather than 8 small bars for $2) plus you have outwitted them yet again! And really that is what it is all about right? lol 

Just a thought:: Search online or in the flyers for a coupon or two to get the cereal for next to free :) Save more $$$!

No comments:

Post a Comment